Diva In The Kitchen: Chicken Tortilla Corn Chowder

One of my sisters made this recipe not too long ago and passed it on to me last week.  I was very excited to try it because I love using my Crock Pot.  It is SUCH a time saver for cooking one pot meals!

I made this chowder last night and added a few things of my own.  I will post the main ingredients and follow that with my additions.  This is such a tasty soup!


Chicken Tortilla Corn Chowder
Ingredients

  • 2 cans Cream of Potato Soup
  • 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 2 cups milk
  • About a cup of chicken broth
  • 1 can of mexicorn, drained
  • 10 oz chicken, cooked and diced into chunks
  • 1 can diced green chilies
  • Flour tortillas, cut into 2 inch strips
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
I added the following to the above basic recipe:
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • Half a jar of roasted red peppers, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped into small pieces
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
  • A very large spoonful of salsa (about 1/3 cup)
  • A small (travel-sized/sample size) bottle of tequila
  • Ground Cumin, Oregano, Ground Coriander, Ground Cayenne Pepper
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Sour cream


Directions
(Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Cook chicken in a medium pan until cooked through.  Alternately, you can use 2 cans of already cooked chicken.)

Turn your Crock Pot on Low.  Add the 4 cans of soup, milk, and broth.  Whisk together until combined and smooth.  Add corn, green chilies, black beans, red peppers, garlic, salsa, and tequila (I only used about half the bottle, but next time I'll dump the whole thing in).  Stir well.

In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat and melt butter together.  Add chopped onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add 2 cans of chicken (drained) or your already cooked and diced chicken.  Mix together.  Add 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce to taste.  Season onion and chicken mixture with 2 tsp each of cumin, coriander, and oregano.  Add cayenne to taste.  (I like my food spicy, so I added a little over a tsp of cayenne.)  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir and let cook for about 5 minutes.

Add same spices, minus the cayenne, to the soup as well.  Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to soup.  Stir well.  Add onion and chicken mixture, stir, and let simmer in Crock Pot on low for three to four hours.

Ladle soup into a bowl, sprinkle with cheese, top with tortilla strips and sour cream.  Devour with happiness!

No comments