Diva In The Kitchen: Tuna Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

It has been a whole MONTH since I posted?  Wow.  Sorry about that!  I haven't been making a lot of new recipes until last week.  I'll be posting some new things in the coming days on all of that.  And I've also been working on some craft projects and organizing, which I look forward to posting about too.

Today's recipe is from my latest Rachael Ray magazine.  You can find the recipe online HERE.  As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit and am gonna post what I did here on my page.  This recipe is really tasty, light, and healthy.  My tip would be to make sure when you place patties into the hot oil your fingers aren't getting dipped along with it.  I fried my fingertips last night because I wasn't paying total attention to what I was doing.

Tuna Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Ingredients
  • 6 cans of tuna in water (since the original recipe called for 2 lbs of cod, I substituted the tuna in almost the same amount)
  • Grated peel of 1 lemon and juice of 3 lemons, plus lemon wedges for serving 
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano 
  • A few dashes hot pepper sauce 
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 3 tablespoons grated onion and its juice 
  • 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced 
  • 2 cups cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs (I put a cup of Italian breadcrumbs in tuna mixture and used Panko breadcrumbs to coat the outside of the tuna cakes)
  • 2 eggs, beaten 
  • Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for frying 
  • 3 roasted red peppers, patted dry and coarsely chopped 
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt 
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill 
  • Arugula
Directions
Drain tuna and flake the chunks into smaller pieces.  Season with the lemon peel, half of the lemon juice, the parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, marjoram and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and two-thirds of the garlic, then add half of the cracker crumbs and the eggs; stir to combine. Divide the mixture into quarters and form 3 patties from each quarter (12 patties total), about 3 1/2 inches wide. Coat the patties in the Panko crumbs.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch olive oil over medium heat. Add 6 patties at a time and cook, turning once, for 6 minutes.

Using a food processor, mix together the roasted red peppers, yogurt, dill and remaining lemon juice and garlic; season with pepper. Serve patties with the sauce, lemon wedges and arugula.

1 comment

  1. Tasty tasty, I really enjoyed the crunchiness and flavor of the cakes. The chili sauce just made them that much better.

    ReplyDelete